Virgin Active Deals & Specials

An international gym group with a membership of more than 1 million members.

Virgin Active is a chain of gyms and wellness centres located in 10 countries around the world. The first gym was located in the Lancashire town of Preston, in the UK in 1999 and is part of Richard Branson’s Virgin Group. South Africa was the first country that the company expanded to outside the UK when it bought the struggling Health & Racquet Club, a fitness chain which had recently been put under liquidation. The first Virgin Active in South Africa opened in 2000, and the gyms promptly spread to Italy in 2004, Australia in 2008, Singapore in 2013, and Thailand in 2014. South Africa is Virgin Active’s most successful and biggest market, accounting for 60% of its profits and with 138 out of its 241 branches being located in the country. Virgin Active has launched 3 different concepts within the brand.

The Virgin Active Health Clubs offer state-of-the art cardio equipment, fitness studios, and a swimming pool. Virgin Active Collection gyms offer a more premium experience and focus on high-performance using the latest fitness trends such as suspension yoga and wattbikes. The luxury clubs also offer a range of value-added services such as a grooming and finishing bar for men and women, an in-house spa, meeting and conferences rooms, a shoe-shine bar, and more. Virgin’s latest concept, RED, features back-to-basics gyms with an open grid workout area, ride studios, a super circuit and weight-training areas. The RED concept offers the most affordable gym prices within the group. In 2015, an 80% stake in the gym group was acquired by Brait, the company owned by South African businessman, Christo Wiese, with Richard Branson keeping the remaining 20%. The gyms were bought for R12-billion. The new majority owners intend to further expand the brand in the Asia-Pacific region as well as to open more lower-cost gyms under the Virgin Active RED sub-brand.

Half of Virgin Active’s total global membership is located in South Africa.

Health & Beauty Deals & Specials

Interested in finding more health & beauty deals on makeup and health essentials? Then check out our health & beauty section for more deals from Red Square, Clicks, Dis-Chem and more.

Get more deals

Food & Wine Deals & Specials

Interested in finding more food & wine deals from leading producers and supermarkets? Then check out our food & wine section for more deals from Checkers, Shoprite, Woolworths and more.
Get more deals

Latest Deals | July 16, 2018